Thursday, September 07, 2006

the death of the website and the web designer

I was taking a brief break from work and was scanning through SharpReader to catch up on news, politics, tech stuff, etc. I ran across this post from the RSS godfather about his water company having an RSS feed.  My first thought was "hmm.... that's interesting",  but my second thought was "hmm... I haven't been to the Scripting News website in forever."  And why would I?  He's got a great, full-feed RSS... and even the comments come into the aggregator.  So really, the actual page offers me almost NOTHING.
 
As a designer, the prospect of my web design being irrelevant is disheartening, to say the least.  But honestly,  it seems like the only thing a blog needs is a page with an "RSS" button on it.  Heck, you might as well just redirect to the Feedburner page, because that's already presentable.  I realize that the days of aggregator-only "surfing" are still WAY in the future... but as I've gotten more into SharpReader, I find that Firefox is being used less-and-less. I wonder if there are any RSS-only blogs out there?
 

No comments: