Thursday, August 31, 2006

History - pt. 2

So anyway, I get this cool job playing with Flash all day, and trying to come up with interesting ways to train people.  The biggest problem we've had is that our bosses don't understand how much time it takes to complete a module (at least, a somewhat decent one).  Our second problem is that we create modules.  Basically, the student logs-in... hits the "Next" button on a 20 minutes Flash modules... takes a test... moves one.  Some of the modules are pretty cool, but I doubt anyone spends more time with them than needed.
 
Our training division as a whole has developed from a "we need it now" philosophy, and that has trickled down to the Online team as well.  Instead of spending a few weeks planning out how to most effectively implement a new training topic,  we get told that a module needs to be complete in 5 days.  It really doesn't leave a lot of room of experimenting and trying out new things.
 
When I first got the position, I must say I didn't really know any better.  I had this feeling that what we were doing wouldn't be as effective as it could be,  but I didn't know enough to question it.  A few years have past, and I've since discovered some great blogs and even attended my first E-Learning Conference a few weeks ago.  While the Conference didn't live up to my expectations, at least I'm better aware of some of the other ideas out there.
 
even more to come....

 

No comments: