Monday, October 02, 2006

Who controls the content?

My big issue right now: content control.
 
I was hired to create/maintain the online elements of our training.  But in reality, I just take what my bosses want, and put it into Flash.  Like my previous post, when there was an opportunity to create some wonderful eLearning, I was overruled and forced to do something less effective.  It also happened a couple of weeks ago, when I had a "cool" idea about adding some interactions to a new training module we were working on -- but, because it would've added a few days onto the completion date, I was told to scrap it.  It's a bit disheartening at times, but I really don't control any of the content.
 
I've had years of training experience... and I've seen first-hand what works.  So when I approach a job, my first thought is, "What's the best way to get the student to learn?" I think I may be only person that actually approaches the online training in that way.  When they talk about the in-person training workshops, it's ALL about student interactions... and keeping people engaged.  However, "online" is relegated to "just get the information out there".
 
I guess it's like my internal voice keeps saying, "baby steps"....

No comments: